среда, 13 февраля 2008 г.

St.Valentine's Day Post: 2 Love Poems by American Poets


i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

e e cummings

More poems by e.e.cummings at http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/eecummings

The photo suggested by Anna M. (it's copyright-protected, so we can't just upload it here) suits this poem by e.e. cummings very well.



THE BIG HEART

"Too many things are occurring for even a big heart to hold."
From an essay by W. B. Yeats

Big heart,
wide as a watermelon,
but wise as birth,
there is so much abundance
in the people I have:
Max, Lois, Joe, Louise,
Joan, Marie, Dawn,
Arlene, Father Dunne,
and all in their short lives
give to me repeatedly,
in the way the sea
places its many fingers on the shore,
again and again
and they know me,
they help me unravel,
they listen with ears made of conch shells,
they speak back with the wine of the best region.
They are my staff.
They comfort me.

They hear how
the artery of my soul has been severed
and soul is spurting out upon them,
bleeding on them,
messing up their clothes,
dirtying their shoes.
And God is filling me,
though there are times of doubt
as hollow as the Grand Canyon,
still God is filling me.
He is giving me the thoughts of dogs,
the spider in its intricate web,
the sun
in all its amazement,
and a slain ram
that is the glory,
the mystery of great cost,
and my heart,
which is very big,
I promise it is very large,
a monster of sorts,
takes it all in--
all in comes the fury of love.


Anne Sexton (1928-1974)
She won the Pulitzer prize. Like Sylvia Plath, she committed suicide. More poems by Anne Sexton at http://www.americanpoems.com/poets/annesexton/

I wish I could make a link to this poem that Anna P. has suggested http://flickr.com/photos/booglets/212229716/

Students, I was wondering if you could help me to find a photo at http://flickr.com/ to illustrate the poem that resonates in your heart. Choose one poem and find a picture at the photo-sharing site flickr.com that can go along with the poem. Thanks!





8 комментариев:

eglantine комментирует...

Dear Anna Vladimirovna,
The poem that impressed me is the second one. From my point of view, the best photo to illustrate it is http://flickr.com/photos/she_dreams/2220611726/. Anna Karpova

Kristina комментирует...

Hello Anna Vladimirovna!
I liked the second poem. Maybe the following picture http://flickr.com/photos/kruse/223679930/in/set-72157594273387904/ can illustrate it somehow.

Anna комментирует...

Dear Anna Vladimirovna,
I was glad to read these poems and I liked "I carry your heart with me.."most of all!
I searched for the picture and i chose 2 of them. Unfortunately, i couldn`t make a choice.
http://flickr.com/photos/joyfuljoy/2268955062/
http://flickr.com/photos/mack_dhaka/2267819403/
Ann Matveevicheva

Anna V. Filatova комментирует...

Anna K.,Kristina, thank you for your suggestions! Indeed, you've found very beautiful photos.

Anna M.,
What an interesting choice! Why did you associate the second poem with these pictures (Moon/Sun??, river at sunset)? What feelings does the poem evoke in you?

Jul комментирует...

Morning!
I would like to thank you for sharing these poems, although I couldn`t find one that actually struck my fancy. I found the third one closest to the somewhat casual, warm, cherish-the-small-things-in-life-mood I`ve been in lately, though. And the picture I would like to recommend to go with the poem is to be found here: http://flickr.com/photos/woolloomooloosky/143456937/ I think it adds some "darkness", coolness and mystery or a hint of forthcoming grief to the atmosphere of Sexton`s poem - the poem itself carries the hint, but the image makes it much clearer.

Anna комментирует...

I am not sure that i can explain my idea clearly,but I somehow feel that this poem expresses sadness(from my point of view) and the picture with a ship and river leaves an impression that one person has to go somewhere away but he still carry heart with him...wherever he goes.

Anna комментирует...

I am not sure that i can explain my idea clearly,but I somehow feel that this poem expresses sadness(from my point of view) and the picture with a ship and river leaves an impression that one person has to go somewhere away but he still carry heart with him...wherever he goes.

Unknown комментирует...

Dear Anna Vladimirovna,
I guess that the 3rd poem reflects my own feeling the most, though it's complicated to explain that.
The picture I would illustrate it with is the following: http://flickr.com/photos/booglets/212229716/

Anna Pukhina